Friday 15 July 2011

Houmous / Hummus/ Hummous

One of my favourite foods is houmous.  I have no idea how to spell it, but that's largely irrelevant as I'm really only concerned with eating the glorious stuff!

As well as being delicious it's got lots of good things in it too.  It's protein rich, vegetarian and vegan, it is a good source of complex carbohydrates and is high in minerals, fatty acids and amino acids.  It also has a GI of about 12 so it should help keep you satiated.

Eat it with raw vegetables such as carrots, brocolli, cucumber and you'll be doing yourself a tasty favour.

Here's how to make it...

15 oz (425g) can chick peas
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
2-3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
1 dssp vegan vegetable bouillon
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Drain the chick peas and add them to a blender along with the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil and bouillon. Blend to a smooth cream. Add a little water if necessary. 

2. Season to taste and serve.

And remember that garlic is good for you, so you can up the amount to your taste.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Kooky, that sounds wonderful. I really like humous but I have never tried making it. The shop bought stuff varies so much as to the taste and quality, it sounds easy to make and absolutely delicious. I will be giving this a try I think, thank you

    ReplyDelete