This is a recipe I came up with after reading a variety of recipes for vegan cupcakes they are easy to make and taste great, my mum and husband enjoy them and they do not have any dietary restrictions.
They are light and fluffy and often half of one of these is enough so you may want to make them in smaller fairy cake liners, this will obviously make more cupcakes, but you can share them with friends and relatives, they will thank you I am sure.
They do not seem to last as well as the regular cupcakes do and I am yet to try freezing them. I will try that soon and let you know if it is succesful.
Egg, dairy and gluten free Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
-= Ingredients =-
1 cup rice milk
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup unrefined cane sugar
1/3 cup pure rapeseed oil or mild olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup Doves Farm gluten free plain flour (or any other plain/ all purpose gluten free flour blend)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder (Dr. Oetker do a cheap one that is gluten free but check the labels as they do regular and gluten free, or check your special diet area at the supermarket)
-= Instructions =-
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 and get your cupcake liners arranged in the muffin tin.
2) In a large mixing bowl, stir together the rice milk, apple cider vinegar, sugar, rapeseed oil and vanilla extract.
3) In another bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and beat well until all the lumps are removed, you can do this with an electric hand mixer, food processor or by hand.
4) Use a ladle to pour the batter into the cupcake liners and clean up any stray dripped batter with a clean cloth of piece of kitchen towel or it will burn and be difficult to clean the trays afterwards.
5) Bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (approximately 18-20 minutes dependant on your oven.)
6) Allow to cool completely on a wire rack, being careful not to burn your fingers getting them out of the tins, I regularly burn mine!
7) Decorate with your favorite icing.
Makes approximately 12 large cupcakes.